Saturday 27 April 2013

Fresh Focus on fmq - working out from the corner


All three samples today have started from a corner working out in a circle.
.
This is using one very simple motif in different sizes to give a variety of density. The 'negative' 
un-quilted rings also take on an important part of the design. At some point I will try the same idea with other motifs. For this one I did draw some free-hand guide lines for the rings. They are not perfectly circular, but as I've side before, I like things slightly out of kilter. 



For this one, as you can probably tell, I did not draw guide lines, but just went for it. This is the first time I have done this design as a circle. I usually do it in straight lines. I do like the way the two circles meet and intertwine like a zip, but I think the two unquilted corners distract and don't quite work. Might be back to the drawing board with this one.




This is one of my favorites. I particularly like the two sets of triangle in the lower right half. The shapes are almost shaded in with the tread. It's quite a small sample, not quite 6"s not quite square which means using a thin 50/2 cotton thread. Anything thicker at that size produced knots. (Sorry about the camera strap in the corner - that is not part of the design!)




No comments:

Post a Comment