Friday 31 January 2014

Wooded Hills - free motion quilted Cameo 20


free motion quilting original design
Wooded Hills - free motion quilted Cameo 20
This is another cameo that was inspired by the work of another quilter, namely Freida Anderson. You can see her work at www.friestyle.com/

Frieda creates some wonderful fused and quilted collages, often featuring leaves. One showed leaves or trees arranged on hills. I have done a similar arrangement here, using a very simple stylised tree. The trees quilted on their own were not particularly interesting, but it is the rhythm of the background quilting, the close lines echoing the curve of the hills that makes the piece hang together.

At some point I will expand on this idea, perhaps using a different design of tree in each square.

Enjoy

Thanks for dropping by

Hilary Florence

3 comments:

  1. Hi Hillary - I'm so glad to welcome you to Off the Wall - please feel free to link up any Friday you have something to share. I would have written in person but your blog is set to a "no reply" setting as a commenter. I love this pattern and its exciting to see where people are taking FMQing. The dye I used on my fabrics for the stone was Pro-Chem's color - "Chino" - I did 8 gradations so have lots to choose from. There was also a few pieces of yellow/green that I dyed up using my Red Solo Cup method so that's hard to replicate - grin - its sorta a serendipitous kinda method.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nina,
    Thanks for the welcome and I will certainly be sharing on Fridays - or at least attempting to. I had no idea about a "no reply" setting so will try and sort that out. You will gather I haven't been blogging for too long and still need to get to grips with some of the technicalities!
    Thank you so much for the info on dyes. I'll be investigating that too.
    Hilary Florence

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so interesting. It reminds me of a supped up Leah Day design. When you say "cameo" do you mean that this is a very small piece to place on a necklace? Also, I read the next post about your printing with foam trays and such. I am now signed up to follow you via email. You do things I truly want to try! Thanks for linky with Val.

    ReplyDelete