Friday 3 April 2015

Simple Seedheads

Because I design a lot of free motion quilting patterns, I have a tendency to think I am cheating if everything I do isn't new and original!

Sketch book cover, free motion quilted with seed heads, lined with hand dyed fabric Hilary Florence Quilting Workshop

This is a shame, because there is so many wonderful ideas out there, and it is not as if quilters are not willing to share. So this design, whilst not copied from anything in particular, is not particularly original either. Seed heads are deservedly a great source of inspiration for artists across the board.

Sketch book cover, free motion quilted with seed heads, lined with hand dyed fabric Hilary Florence Quilting Workshop

I like to add a small version on the back.

Sketch book cover, free motion quilted with seed heads, lined with hand dyed fabric Hilary Florence Quilting Workshop

I love muted autumn greens, golds and oranges on white. I often match the lining to my quilting thread colour. In this case, as the cover what quite, I contrasted it with a stronger 'tray dyed' fabric. I used red, yellow and black dye, which of course mix to give the rusts and browns of autumn.

Thanks for visiting...

Hilary Florence


Please find below a list of linky parties. I may not link with all of the every week, but with some of them most weeks. Please go and have a look at some of the other wonderful quilts and quilters there.

Linky Tuesday at Free motion by  the river­­­­ @ http://www.conniekresin.com/
WIP Wednesday at freshly pieced   @   http://www.freshlypieced.com/
WIP Wednesday at TN + TN  @  http://needleandthreadnetwork.blogspot.ca/
Off the wall Fridays @ http://ninamariesayre.blogspot.co.uk/




11 comments:

  1. Good Morning Hilary!

    No, there's no such thing as copying. It's always a variation on a theme. These seed heads are beautiful.

    Thank you for linking up with Free Motion Mavericks!

    Love, Muv

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had that feeling of thinking everything must be new and by me! I'm thinking it's my route to madness! These are lovely seed heads and make a fine journal cover. I like the little one in the back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful seed heads. I think that every design is unique to the person who stitches it. Everyone will interpret and stitch a design in a different way so that really there is no such thing as copying, just interpreting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those! It looks very unique and artistic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Again a source of inspiration. And, yes, again, I've mentioned you...
    http://hilachayretal.blogspot.com.es/
    Happy Easter!
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how pretty! And definitely original. Elizabeth Zimmerman (a knitter) used to say that she was certain that everything had been done before, she was just uninventing it and it's the same with quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So simpel, but so pretty!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely. Quilting and embroidery combined. Claire aka knitnkwilt

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tomaré este diseño para zurcir un buzo e iniciarme en el tema. soy tejedora de toda la vida y el bordado había quedado en la infancia, hasta ahora!

    ReplyDelete